The legendary songstress, born in Benin Republic, made this known in a recent interview with Smooth FM 98.1 FM, in Lagos State.
Kidjo said her mother who worked as a choreographer and theatre director revealed it to her.
The 62-year-old entertainer and activist also claimed she has lots of relatives across Nigeria who she had not seen.
She said: “My Mum told me that I am from Iseyin because when my grandfather’s great great great great father came back from Brazil, they found their roots in Iseyin.
“From my mother’s side, we have always been from Nigeria.
“So we have families in Abeokuta, Ibadan, Lagos, everywhere.
“I have cousins I haven’t seen a million years that I miss a lot.”
- NURTW warns members against rejecting old naira notes
- JAMB opens up on extending registration
- JAMB suspends CBT centre in Kwara for violating rules
- COVID-19 remains International health threat, WHO warns
- 59 confirmed dead and 157 injured in Pakistan mosque bomb blast
- Redesigned notes: Lagos residents groan as scarcity hits hard
- West Ham set up Man United tie by beating Derby
- No room for deadline extension, JAMB Registrar, Oloyede warns prospective applicants
- VIDEOS+PHOTOS: When Buhari visited Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero
- Abiola Bawuah becomes UBA CEO in Africa