INEC bars party agents, journalists from Lagos collation centre in Somolu
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) officials at Somolu Local Government Area of Lagos State barred journalists, party agents and observers from the collation centre.
As against the practise of collating results publicly in the interest of fairness, the returning officer of the Governorship and House of Assembly Elections, took the results from the wards to an inner office where she and some selected persons carried out the exercise, Punch reported.
Journalists and observers who had converged on the collation centre at the end of voting and polling units collation on Saturday were denied access to the inner office.
Those at the inner office spent long hours working on the results from the ward.
At about 4:58am on Sunday, the returning officer alongside police escorts left the INEC LGA office at Somolu with the results.
It is unclear if they were headed for the state collation center at Birrel Avenue, Yaba, as they refused to address the media.
Although party agents were not allowed in the inner office where the selective collation took place, they were later to sign and obtain duplicate sheets.
An observer, who spoke off the record for the fear of being victimised, said, “After spending the night outside at the INEC office , I was able to get result snapshot from an official whom I had met in the last presidential election. The person was invited to the inner office.”
Somolu is one of the LGAs that the ruling party lost to the opposition in the presidential election.
Activities will kick off at the State Collation Centre by 11am, according to an earlier announcement by the electoral commission.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- ICPC arraigns ex-JAMB’s Ojerinde, 4 children over alleged fraud
- World Athletics bans transgender women from women’s competition
- I will run Peter Obi’s model of governance in Abia State – Alex Otti
- No clandestine meeting between Oriwoola, Tinubu– Onanuga
- I won election before without Peter Obi – Alex Otti
- IESA welcomes Alfanla’s emergence as UNILORIN’s Registrar-designate
- My suspension by Ayu last kick of a dead horse — Fayose
- 10th NASS: Experience, competence should be criteria for leadership positions —-Bamidele
- Nigeria Air to Take-off Before End of Buhari’s Administration—-Sirika
- NSIB Sets To Release Report Soon–– DG