By Akin Richy, Osogbo
Professor of Cardiopulmonary Respiratory Physiotherapy, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Professor Rufus Adedoyin on Wednesday attributed challenges bedeviling grassroot sports development to poor attention and lack of facilities on the part of the government and private individuals.
Speaking during the Stakeholders’ Forum, a monthly Interview program of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN), Osun State Chapter, Prof. Adedoyin said this has also led to the poor performance of Nigeria age grade teams and athletes at the intercontinental and international competitions.
He said: “The challenges in the sports sector will be far from over if we fail to go back to the grassroots where there are budding talents. It is unfortunate that there are no quality programs from the government for primary schools sports again as it used to be whereas these are platforms for identifying budding talents that can be nurtured to stardom.
“In most schools, there are no Physical and Health Education teacher, there is no principal or headmaster’s cup, most schools do not have football pitch or training equipment. Without this, there is no way a country can make headway.”
Prof. Adedoyin also called on government not to approve private schools that do not have sports ground and facilities.
“All work no play make Jack a dull boy. Talents in children are best discovered at tender age through participation in sporting activities with their peers. This is why all schools should be mandated to have a training ground where all pupils can engage in any game of their choice. Some private schools nowadays do not have sports ground and I advise the government not no approve such schools.
“It is when pupils and students participate in competitions that they will be able to showcase their talents to the world. This is why principal/headmaster’s cups, inter-house athletic competition and many more should be revived,” the sports enthusiast added.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport