Argentina coach, Lionel Scaloni has revealed that Lionel Messi is still suffering from the effects of having Covid-19, after he contracted the ‘roughest variant’ during the winter break.
PSG superstar Messi has played just once this year after getting infected last month, making his return in the 4-0 win over Reims last weekend.
However, Messi was not called up for Argentina’s upcoming World Cup qualifiers with Chile and Colombia due to the fact that he was still not 100 percent fully recovered from the virus, according to Scaloni.
‘I talked to (Messi) after he tested positive for COVID,’ Scaloni told a press conference on Wednesday. ‘It affected him a lot, he had the roughest variant.
‘It is important that he recovers, feels fit because there will be important moments ahead. I felt that it was not ideal for him to joins us [on international duty this weekend] not being at 100 per cent. He was affected for a some time.’
Scaloni told reporters that his assistants Walter Samuel and Roberto Ayala will be in charge for the match. Argentina has already secured a spot at the tournament in Qatar, while Chile is still in contention.
‘I am well, recovered. But the PCR remains positive,’ Scaloni added.
Brazil and Argentina have both qualified for the World Cup, with two more automatic spots up for grabs in South American qualifying.
The fifth-place team advances to a playoff against an Asian opponent. Only last-place Venezuela, with seven points, is out of contention.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- FAAN inaugurates App for airport taxi
- LASU aims to become best varsity in W’Africa — VC
- Poverty not for any true child of God— RCCG Pastor
- Tinubu was never a minister, Osinbajo was commissioner when I was Speaker— Amaechi
- With your support, I will win – Tinubu tells Bauchi delegates
- Why Kano APC Delegates Should Vote Me — Amaechi
- APC Governorship aspirant resigns from party
- Court sentences 27yr-old student for illicit drug trafficking
- Breaking….. Buhari orders embattled Accountant-General’s suspension
- Deborah: Stop escalation of jungle justice across Nigeria, govt urged