The Chief Executive Officer, Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, on Tuesday commended President Muhammadu Buhari for signing of an Act establishing the agency.
Ihekweazu expressed his delight in a statement made available to newsmen in Abuja.
He said since its establishment in 2011, NCDC has demonstrated its capacity to protect the health of Nigerians by delivering on its core functions of preparedness, detection and response to outbreaks of infectious diseases.
He said the new Act had made the establishment a full-fledged parastatal, adding that its valuable work will now be fully sustained and supported.
“We are very grateful for Mr President’s support in the passage of this executive bill. This bill will provide the country an institute that has the capacity to ensure health security.
“We are also grateful to both Minister of Health and the Minister of State for Health for their support, and the Senate Committee on Primary Health Care and Communicable Diseases led by Sen. Mao Ohuabunwa.
“With the passage of the bill establishing Nigeria’s national public health institute, the Federal Government has shown its commitment in ensuring the protection of the public from global emerging infectious diseases,” he said.
- KAM Holding boss donates N20million to prevent COVID-19 in Kwara
- PHOTO NEWS: How Late Galadiman Patigi, Dr. Alfa Saadu was buried in London
- Coronavirus Update: Nigeria’s cases increase to 184
- Lagos discharges 11 additional coronavirus patients
- COVID-19: TUYIL hails Kwara govt, donates N10million
- BREAKING….. KWARA BEGINS FUMIGATION OF MARKETS TONIGHT 7-11pm
- COVID-19: Germany Chancellor donates €5.5m to Nigerians
- Ogun governor assures of equality in palliatives distribution
- Saudi Arabia govt imposes 24hrs in Makkah, Madina cities
- Coronavirus infection kills Philippines envoy
News3 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
Education5 months ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
News10 months ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
Politics4 months ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)
Politics5 months ago
EXPOSED…. Why Kwara Governor wants more women in his cabinet— Ajadi
Politics3 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen