The Kwara State government through the Fire Service Brigade has set out flood prevention and disaster risk reduction plans in Ilorin.
This is aimed at avoiding the deadly flood and disasters that may hit the city in the coming weeks.
Director of the Kwara state Fire service brigade, Abdulwaheed Yakub has warned that the city will be open to distortion of movement and overflow of the river if keen attention is not taken with more heavy rain expected over the coming weeks.
During the process of Evacuating dirts and all sorts of harmful device to prevent the river from over Flowing, a new born baby was found by the men of the fire service brigade who couldn’t hide their dissatisfaction towards the series of unwanted things found.
Mr Abdulwaheed condemned in strong words that settlers and citizens should desist from dumping refuse in the river and urged all Kwarans, especially those residents in flood-prone areas, to observe these warnings and safety tips to minimize casualties in event of future flooding.
“It’s highly pathetic that people dump all sort of things inside the river to the extent of dumping a new born baby. A baby some have been searching for”.
While responding to the threat of further floods, Mr Abdulwaheed confirmed the fire service brigade on their part has started evacuating all dirts and debris in the river to compliment the state government resolve to ease the ugly situation.
The Director further called on the state government to provide adequate equipments to help the agency in their bid to tackle the situation, stating they’ve been made to improvise so as to reduce or keep the city away from risk.
Mr Yakub advise
that Drastic steps are necessary if government are to permanently address this perennial problem, agigating that all related agencies in charge of environment, Planning and security must join hands together and also intensify efforts to stop or minimize the dumping of refuse at critical areas.
Recall the recent floods has left some trapped in traffic chaos, and also destroyed facilities and washed buildings in the area.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment