Nigeria records 541 COVID-19 cases
Nigeria has registered 541 new cases of coronavirus (COVID-19) as active cases continue to soar in the West African country.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), which made this known via its verified website on Monday morning, said the additional infections, though declined from the 655 recorded on Saturday, raised the cumulative cases to 182,503.
The centre said that the number of known active cases was now 13,152, an increase from 12,917 reported on Saturday.
The public health agency, however, did not state the percentage of COVID-19 variants in the newly recorded infections.
It put the Delta variant seen in Nigeria at 32 as of Aug. 2, noting they were recorded in Lagos, Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Oyo and the FCT.
The NCDC said it was scaling up its sequencing capacity to have a better understanding of the burden of new variants which were of concern to Nigeria.
Twelve states and the FCT were responsible for the 541 new infections with Lagos having 242, followed by Akwa Ibom, 94; Enugu, 48; Oyo, 48 and Anambra, 34.
Rivers recorded 19; Ogun, 17; Ekiti, 15; FCT, 9; Kwara, 7; Abia, 5; Delta, 2; and Niger, 1.
According to the NCDC, as of Sunday Aug. 15 no additional COVID-19-related death was reported. The total number of Nigerians who had succumbed to the virus stood at 2,219.
The NCDC said that a multi-sectoral national Emergency Operations Centre (EOC), activated at Level 2, continued to coordinate the national response activities.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Nigeria to launch two more satellites into space soon – Defence Agency
- NSCDC arrests 9 over alleged meter bypass in Osun
- INEC issues Certificate of Return to Zamfara gov-elect, deputy
- Osun Govt explains delay of civil servants’ March salaries
- Singer “Portable” cooling feet in police custody
- Interim Govt: DSS raising fake alarm, ploy to arrest opposition– Atiku
- Yul Edochie reports son’s death to Police for investigation
- Election: Nigerians in USA get permission to hold protest opposite White House
- Github fires its entire India engineering team, over 140 employees
- Ex-Nigerian Minister, Kola Jamodu installed as Asiwaju of Ere Kingdom (PHOTOS)