One Dead, 26 Rescued in Lagos Building Collapse

Date:

The Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) has confirmed that one person died while 26 others were rescued after a two-storey building collapsed early Monday at Coast Street, Oyingbo, Lagos.

The Permanent Secretary of LASEMA, Dr. Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, disclosed this in a statement on Monday afternoon, noting that the agency received a distress call at about 12:11 a.m. and immediately mobilised emergency responders to the scene.

“Under the leadership of Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, we activated our emergency response protocol as soon as we got the call. All responders, including members of the Local Emergency Management Committee, moved swiftly to the scene,” Oke-Osanyintolu said.

He explained that 21 of the rescued victims were taken to various General Hospitals where they are receiving free medical treatment in line with the state’s emergency response policy, while five others were treated on the spot and discharged.

The LASEMA boss confirmed that one fatality had been recorded, adding that the body of the deceased has been moved to the mortuary. He noted that rescue operations were ongoing in a coordinated manner to avoid further casualties.

“We have divided the site into four quadrants. In the inner areas, we are using light-duty equipment to prevent harm, while in the outer sections, heavy-duty machinery has been deployed,” he said, stressing that the measured approach was intentional to protect possible survivors.

“Our operation is strategic. None of our machines broke down; we’re simply working cautiously, guided by intelligence from multiple sources,” he added.

Meanwhile, the Head of Operations of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in Lagos, Mr. Mohammed Olatunde, said both federal and state rescue teams were working closely to ensure an effective response.

“We have deployed all necessary personnel and resources. Rescue operations are ongoing in synergy with  and other stakeholders,” Olatunde said.

He urged residents to remain calm and cooperate with emergency responders, adding that NEMA would provide relief materials and support for displaced victims once the rescue phase concludes.

Facebook Comments Box

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest

More like this
Related

Kwara South APC Chairmen Endorse Yahaya Seriki

Chairmen of the All Progressives Congress (APC) across the...

Oyo Community Demands Release of Kidnapped Schoolchildren

A protest erupted in Oyo State on Wednesday as...

NILDS DG Withdraws from Kwara Governorship Race

Director General of the National Institute of Legislative and...

Oyo Crisis: Sea King Blasts Igboho for Staying Silent

Nigerian TikToker Olumide Ogunsanwo, popularly known as Sea King,...

2027: Amaechi Reacts to ADC Presidential Speculation

Former Minister of Transportation, Rotimi Amaechi, has said he...

NAF Airstrikes Destroy Terrorist Strongholds Along Nigeria–Cameroon Border

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) says its air component...

Emir of Ilorin hails Oba Esuwoye II on his 16th coronation anniversary

  The Emir of Ilorin and Chairman Kwara State Traditional...

Shettima Reveals Plotters Told Tinubu He ‘Charmed’ Campaign Clothes

Vice-President Kashim Shettima has revealed that some individuals allegedly...