Queen Elizabeth has confirmed that Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will not be returning as working members of the Royal Family nearly a year after stepping down, Buckingham Palace said today, Feb 19.
The dramatic announcement was made in a palace statement at midday today, and sees the Duke and Duchess of Sussex quit for good more than one month before the one-year “Megxit” review was due to be concluded on March 31.
Buckingham Palace referred to the Sussexes as “much loved members of the family” and said it was “saddened by their decision”.
It also revealed the Queen had “written confirming that in stepping away from the work of the Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.”
Harry and Meghan responded by releasing a statement three minutes later, saying they “remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world.”
Harry and Megha added: “We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”
Stepping down as working royals means Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will not be able to hold on to their military, Commonwealth and some other patronages.
The decision was made after conversations between the Duke of Sussex and members of the Royal Family. It brings to a conclusion a week in royal relations between the Sussexes and Buckingham Palace.
- Lawan, Gbajabiamila sued over failure to cut N228.1bn NASS budget
- Kaduna State Internal Revenue Service insists on e-payment in hospitals
- Buhari invested more in vulnerable women, youth– Minister
- Buhari’s appointees sabotaging his administration– APC Stakeholders
- INEC won’t disappoint Nigerians in 2023 General Election– REC
- NYSC DG warns corps members against unauthorised trips
- 2023 election: Tinubu’s presidential bid is a divine project – Kekemeke
- 2023 Election: Clergy advises Nigerians to protect their votes
- Civil Society Organisations in Borno empathise with Nigerians over cash crunch
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement