Senate Public Account Committee has launched investigation into the Public Works Programme coordinated by National Directorate of Employment (NDE) in which 774,000 Nigerians were recruited with mandate of 1000 people per local government.
Federal government earmarked N52 billion for the project in 2020 in which 774,000 Nigerians were paid N20,000 each for three months.
However, at the committee sitting of Senate Public Accounts chaired by Senator Mathew Urhoghide (PDP Edo South), the lawmakers gave the National Directorate of Employment, NDE two weeks to submit comprehensive report of the beneficiaries of scheme in 36 states of the country and Federal Capital Territory, FCT.
The committee which is currently investigating expenditure of Service Wide Votes (SWV) discovered that NDE collected N26 billion for the scheme in 2020.
However, drama ensued at the committee meeting on Tuesday when all seven senators that were present at the meeting said that non of their constituent members benefited from the scheme.
Senator Thompson Sekibo (PDP Rivers East) said that nobody benefited from his Senatorial district from the programme adding that all names submitted by lawmakers were not considered.
Also, Senator Michael Nnachi (PDP Ebonyi South), said no single person benefited from his Senatorial district adding that the NDE should make available beneficiaries list from his Senatorial district.
The committee members therefore unanimously agreed that the NDE should submit names, phones number, Accounts details of the 1000 beneficiaries in each 774 local governments within one week.
But, the representative of NDE who is a director in the agency, Isah Abdul appealed to the committee to give the agency three weeks to compile the list of beneficiaries.
However, the committee declined and gave the agency two weeks to submit the list.
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG