From left: Governors Abdullahi Umar Ganduje (Kano), Nasir El-Rufai (Kaduna), President Muhammadu Buhari, Yahaya Bello (Kogi) and Ibrahim Gaidam (Yobe), shortly after Juma’at Prayer at the State House in Abuja yesterday
No fewer than seven All Progressive Congresas, APC, Governors from the north, have approached President Muhammadu Buhari at the Aso Rock Presidential Villa in Abuja on Friday and wooed him to recontest in 2019.
They were Governors Nasir El-Rufai (Kaduna State), Abdullahi Ganduje (Kano), Yahaya Bello (Kogi), Simon Lalong (Plateau), Jubrilla Bindow (Adamawa), Ibrahim Geidam (Yobe) and Abubakar Bello (Niger).
The governors went into a closed-door meeting with President Buhari after some joined him in observing juma’at service at the State House mosque.
Addressing State House correspondents after the meeting which lasted about two hours, el-Rufa’i said they wanted President Buhari to seek reelection and continue to run Nigeria in the right direction.
Asked what his response would be to those who might say their visit was about 2019 elections, El-rufai said: ‘We are politicians, and those of us you see here want the president to contest the 2019 election, we have no apologies for that.”
“We believe in Mr. President, we want him to continue running the country in the right direction. People can speculate about 2019, we have no apologies.”
“Whether they are right or wrong is beside the point. Everybody is entitled to his own opinion, but as governors, and most of us here, with the exception of Yobe governor, are first-time governors. We are interested in the continuity and stability and we want the president to continue with that,” El-Rufai said.
Earlier, Ganduje had noted that he and his colleagues went to the Presidential Villa separately, “not for any purpose, but after the Friday prayers, we decided to say hello to Mr President. It is just coincidence that we met in the mosque and some joined us later and we decided to go to greet him.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Foundation produces 65 graduates, gets donation from Davido
- I’ll work with NASS to restructure Nigeria – Atiku
- 2023: I will end banditry in 6 months, says Wike
- Blasphemy: No ‘jungle justice’ in Islam, Group backs Sultan Abubakar
- Prophet Muhammad Was Insulted While Alive, Yet He Didn’t Kill Anybody – Sheikh Gumi
- I’m only PDP presidential aspirant to win APC– Wike
- SOKOTO IMBROGLIO: MURIC CONDEMNS LOOTING, ATTACKS ON CHURCHES
- Kwara Police Spokesman, Ajayi Okasanmi loses father at 84, Gov. Abdulrazaq mourns
- Emefiele quits 2023 presidential race— Source
- 2023: We can’t afford to make mistakes, Saraki tasks Delta delegates