Fear has gripped corps members at the Bayelsa State Orientation Camp at Kaiama, Kolokuma-Opokuma Local Government Area of the state following the death of a female member of the National Youth Service Corps, who reportedly died in a mysterious circumstance.
The female corps member, whose name was given as Miss Elechi Chiyerom, aged 27, was confirmed dead on Tuesday. She reportedly bled and vomitted on arrival at the camp.
Elechi, a graduate of the Ignatius Azuru University of Education, Port Harcourt, Rivers State, was confirmed dead about 9pm on Tuesday five days after arriving at the camp.
Some corps members claimed the deceased on arrival at the camp last Thursday looked “terribly sick” and could not participate in some opening sessions at the camp.
Some officials of the NYSC claimed that the development was a case of “non-disclosure” of state of health by the corps member.
It was learnt that a search on her hostel section showed signs of excessive bleeding with her clothing and sanitary pads soaked in blood.
It was also learnt that the deceased corps member reportedly relapsed into ill-health and was rushed to the sick bay of the camp at about 8pm on Tuesday.
A source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said, “The doctor at the NYSC camp’s clinic immediately referred her to the state-owned Diette-Koki Memorial Hospital in the Opolo area of Yenagoa, the state capital, where she was confirmed dead.”
- Emir of Ilorin salutes Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq at 63
- Entrepreneurs count losses over scarcity of new Naira notes
- Buhari has indeed subdued Boko Haram — Buratai
- Peter Obi appeals for calm over cash crunch, challenges banks
- How I confronted insurgency as COAS – Buratai
- Kwara Speaker celebrates Gov. Abdulrazaq at 63
- 2023 polls: Buratai solicits support for Tinubu, APC
- CAN felicitates Kwara Gov., AbdulRazaq at 63
- Breaking …New Emir emerged in Dutse, Muhammadu Hameem
- Lawan, Gbajabiamila sued over failure to cut N228.1bn NASS budget