Police spokesman in the state, DSP Bright Edafe, stated this on Saturday in Asaba.
According to him, “On October 1, policemen attached to Bomadi Divisional patrol team while on stop-and-search along Bomadi/Tuomo road intercepted a cyclist carrying one Solomon Ebe, 37, with a bag containing garri.’’
Edafe stated that the cops who were discreet in their operation decided to search the suspect and the bag. “Upon searching him, 340 rounds of AK-47 live ammunition hidden inside the garri were recovered. Suspect was arrested and investigation is ongoing,” he stated.
In another development, irate mob has reportedly set ablaze a suspected tricycle thief in Warri.
The police spokesperson said that the tricycle was snatched by four armed men at Hausa quarters who headed towards Warri/Sapele road.
Adafe said a police team from ‘A’ Division, Warri, chased after the gang following a distress call, adding that one of the suspects, 22-year-old Efe David, jumped from the tricycle and was arrested while three others escaped with the tricycle.
He said one other member of the gang was arrested by vigilantes who also participated in the operation.
“The vigilantes were overpowered by an irate mob who meted out jungle justice on the suspect by setting him ablaze. The tricycle, a cut-to-size double-barrelled gun with two live cartridges and some suspected stolen pieces of jewellery, were recovered,” the PPRO added.
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92
- CBN’s cash withdrawal policy’ll enhance financial inclusion – Expert
- DSS, oil marketers set to clear petrol queues in 48 hours
- FG gives update on Ajaokuta Steel resuscitation, legal tussle
- Ex-CAN President, Ayo Oritsejafor’s marriage crashes
- BREAKING…CBN begins distribution of redesigned naira notes to banks