The Federal government plans to refinance up to N3.6trn local debt in 2020, according to the Debt Management Office (DMO).
The refinancing includes some N1.13trn worth Federal Government Bonds and N2.452trn in Treasury Bills.
Patience Oniha, DMO Director-General announced this at a press meeting on Friday in Abuja.
She said the federal government would pitch its borrowings for the year around the regular FGN, savings and sukuk bonds and may consider green bonds “if the conditions are right”.
Government plans to launch a third tranche of sukuk bonds, but hopes it could raise up to N150bn to enable it fund 44 road projects. The earlier two came at N100bn each and according to Oniha did well.
Federal government’s 2020 budget projects some N2.175trn deficit which authorities say will be funded through N850 billion new foreign and N744.99 billion new domestic borrowings. N328 billion will be sourced through multilateral/bilateral sources and some N252 billion from privatisation proceeds.
“A lot of the external borrowing will be concessional,” Oniha stated.
Meanwhile total debt for the federal government, states and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) reached N26.215trn as at September 2019.
The debt size expanded by 2 percent in 3 months between July and September. It was recorded at N25.701trn in June.
- CORONAVIRUS: Read 65-paragraph address delivered by Buhari
- BREAKING….. COVID-19 HAS NO CURE FOR NOW—- Buhari
- Kwara governor breaks silence, donates 10months salaries to Covid-19 support
- 55yr-old Medical Consultant dies of coronavirus
- BREAKING…… “Unfortunately, I tested positive for coronavirus infection”
- SAD….Covid-19: 54yr-old minister allegedly commits suicide
- Covid-19: Buhari addresses Nigerians tonight
- Coronavirus: Immigration Comptroller General tests positive
- Covid-19: Queen Elizabeth II tests positive
- Ogun govt closes land borders for 2weeks
News2 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
Education4 months ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
News10 months ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
Politics4 months ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)
Politics5 months ago
EXPOSED…. Why Kwara Governor wants more women in his cabinet— Ajadi
Politics3 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen