Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari is not opposed to state police and true federalism.
El-Rufai, who was the Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Committee on True Federalism, which submitted its report in 2018, said Buhari is not opposed to restructuring.
The Governor said that it was the National Assembly that has failed to act on the recommendations to make the laws.
“Nigeria is the only country in the world that is a federation that has only one police force, we have made the argument that states should be allowed to have their own police and that even local governments should be allowed their own police,” El-Rufai said.
“The President agrees with the content, main crux of the report and we drafted bills that will enable the amendment of the constitution as well as statutory amendments that will give effect to our recommendations.
“I call on members of our National Assembly to take our report, look at the bills we have drafted and work on them, try to give us state police, state judiciary, vest control of oil and minerals in the states, offshore in the government of the federal while states pay royalty and tax,” El-Rufai said as quoted by Vanguard.
Many individuals and groups have sustained the call for Nigeria to be restructured with the latest call coming from Ifeanyi Okowa, the Governor of Delta State.
Okowa noted that the country’s constitution was a major problem, adding that politicians must stop playing politics with the issue of restructuring.
In the same vein, a former Chief Security Officer to late military ruler, General Sani Abacha, Hamza Al-Mustapha at the weekend advised Nigerians not to allow politicians to decide restructuring of the country.
He said such would be dangerous and will break the country, adding that citizens were toying with the issue by allowing the political elite to take the front seat in the agitation for Nigeria’s realignment.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory