Disturbed by the continued killings of people in many parts of the country, the Senate has called on security agencies in the country to be proactive in the fight against insurgency, banditry and terrorism to prevent loss of lives and properties.
Deputy Senate President, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, made the call yesterday following a point of order raised by the Deputy Chief Whip, Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi (APC Niger North) during the plenary.
Rising on Order 42, Senator Sabi Abdullahi, drew the attention of the Senate to the recent onslaught by bandits in his Senatorial District.
The lawmaker, lamented that the bandits who came in large number from Zamfara State, attacked a Police Station at Nasko town in Magama Local Government Area of Niger State.
According to him, the Divisional Police Officer, some Policemen and residents were killed by the bandits during the attack on the town.
In his remarks, the Deputy Senate President, Ovie Omo-Agege, who presided over the plenary, commended the swift intervention of security agencies.
He, however, urged them to adopt a proactive approach to protect citizens against the criminal activities of insurgents, kidnappers and terrorists.
“From your personal explanation, it is clear that they’ve done their best, we are not unmindful of that.
“They were able to come back with a reprisal to take them out.
“We would have wished that they took a proactive action, and not an action coming after lives have been lost.
“Be that as it may, we will continue to encourage security agencies to do all they can to police as much of our territory, especially in Niger State, which is about one of the largest land mass we have in this country,” Omo-Agege stressed.
The Senate, thereafter, held a minute silence to mourn those killed by the bandits in Magama Local Government Area of Niger State.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- EFCC traces N130m illegal trasnfer into ex-Speaker Patricia Etteh’s account
- FCTA laments influx of beggars from states
- NERC releases update on alleged Tariff increment
- Saraki woos Osun PDP delegates, canvasses support for Adeleke
- PHOTO NEWS: Tinubu visits Kwara, salutes Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Tinubu assures of victory against any PDP candidate
- KWACCIMA pleads with FG to reopen Kwara, Niger borders
- Minister promises NDC more supports for effective performance
- 2023: Why I want to contest for Ilorin West/ Asa Reps— Ajia
- BREAKING…. Many school children, others affected as explosion rocks Kano