Disturbed by the continued killings of people in many parts of the country, the Senate has called on security agencies in the country to be proactive in the fight against insurgency, banditry and terrorism to prevent loss of lives and properties.
Deputy Senate President, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege, made the call yesterday following a point of order raised by the Deputy Chief Whip, Senator Aliyu Sabi Abdullahi (APC Niger North) during the plenary.
Rising on Order 42, Senator Sabi Abdullahi, drew the attention of the Senate to the recent onslaught by bandits in his Senatorial District.
The lawmaker, lamented that the bandits who came in large number from Zamfara State, attacked a Police Station at Nasko town in Magama Local Government Area of Niger State.
According to him, the Divisional Police Officer, some Policemen and residents were killed by the bandits during the attack on the town.
In his remarks, the Deputy Senate President, Ovie Omo-Agege, who presided over the plenary, commended the swift intervention of security agencies.
He, however, urged them to adopt a proactive approach to protect citizens against the criminal activities of insurgents, kidnappers and terrorists.
“From your personal explanation, it is clear that they’ve done their best, we are not unmindful of that.
“They were able to come back with a reprisal to take them out.
“We would have wished that they took a proactive action, and not an action coming after lives have been lost.
“Be that as it may, we will continue to encourage security agencies to do all they can to police as much of our territory, especially in Niger State, which is about one of the largest land mass we have in this country,” Omo-Agege stressed.
The Senate, thereafter, held a minute silence to mourn those killed by the bandits in Magama Local Government Area of Niger State.
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated
- How pastors treWe both wept when Sammie Okposo told me how pastors treated him – Apostle Suleman
- My presidential ambition is for Nigeria’s future– Peter Obi
- PDP reschedules campaign flag off in Nasarawa over police permit
- UniAbuja ASUU protest unpaid salaries
- Unilorin V-C extols Prof. Gambari’s virtues @ 78