Labour unions in Kaduna State have rejected plans by the state government to deduct 25 per cent of workers’ salaries to contribute to the state’s COVID-19 Emergency Fund.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalled that the state Deputy governor, Dr Hadiza Balarabe had in a state broadcast on April 9, announced that modalities were being worked out for all employees of the state to contribute to the Covid-19 Emergency Fund.
Some heads of the labour unions confirmed to NAN that the Head of Civil Service of the State, Mrs Bariyatu Mohammed had met with labour leaders on April 14 on the planned salary deductions.
The Chairman, Kaduna State Council of NLC, Ayuba Sulaiman told NAN, in Kaduna on Friday, that the planned deduction of 25 per cent of workers salary did not go down well with the union leaders.
He however explained that the head of service had invited the union leaders and solicited for workers’ support and contributions to the Covid-19 Emergency Fund.
“We excused her and deliberated over the matter among ourselves and some of us suggested 3.0 per cent salary deduction while others suggested 5.0 per cent.
“At the end, we put it to vote and 13 of us voted for five per cent deduction while 10 others voted for three per cent.
“But the head of service rejected our offer and informed us that the State Executive Council had already concluded to deduct 25 per cent of workers salary.”
Suleiman added that the unions were waiting for a circular to that effect for them to decide on the next line of action.
Danlami told NAN that: “We all thought we were invited for the meeting to agree on the percentage to be deducted, as part of workers contribution in support of government efforts.
“But to our surprise, our resolution as union leaders was turned down by the head of service, insisting that the 25 per cent deduction would be spread across the months April and May.
“The good thing is that, we have informed the head of service that we are only consenting to 5.0 per cent deductions and we still stand by it.
The head of service did not respond to several calls and text messages put across to her by NAN on the matter.
However, a top government official, who did not want his name mentioned told NAN that the state government was yet to take final decision on the 25 percent deduction of the workers salaries.
According to him, what the government has decided firmly is that, political appointees such as commissioners, special advisers and heads of agencies will donate N500,000 in April as their contributions.
“As for civil servants, no decision has been reached, but discussions are ongoing.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport