Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State had on Wednesday issued a fresh total ban on Okada riders’ operations in six Local Government Areas, which are Eti-Osa, Ikeja, Lagos Island, Lagos Mainland, Apapa and Surulere.
He said that with effect from June 1, security operatives should enforce the proscription order across the listed councils.
The Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso said in a statement on Thursday said that the deadline does not invalidate the provisions of the Lagos State Transport Sector Reform Law of 2018.
Omotoso said that the Law stated that ”no persons shall ride, drive or propel a motorcycle or tricycle on a major highway within the state, and any person in contravention of this provision commits an offence” and would be made to face the wrath of the law.
He said that the Lagos State Task Force, led by CSP Shola Jejeloye, had continued to enforce the law, and had seized 238 motorcycles in Lekki on Tuesday and Wednesday.
According to him, in Iba, on Lagos-Badagry Expressway, where it was violently resisted on Thursday, the Task Force seized 195 motorcycles.
”The riders were operating on highways and bridges in flagrant disobedience of the law because, according to them, they are free to ply unauthorised routes till June 1. This is wrong.
”The February 1, 2020, directive has not been reversed. The enforcement was weakened by COVID-19, which affected all areas of life. Now, the action is being reinforced,” he said.
The commissioner commended residents who had come out to support the ban on commercial motorcycles in the six local government areas.
He reteirated Gov. Sanwo-Olu’s order that the ban from the six local government was the ”first phase” of the action, that had been triggered by safety and security concerns.(NAN)
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Emir Sulu-Gambari set to install Balogun Gambari as most senior counsellor in Ilorin Emirate
- Divorce: JJC Skillz divorces Nollywood Star, Funke Akindele
- Gov Zulum directs promotion of deserving civil servants
- Kano APC Senator, Shekarau finally defects to NNPP
- Senate Confirms Buhari 7 Ministerial Norminees
- Fraud: Senate summons NIA boss over N/Delta activists’ blacklist by DSS
- Organ harvesting: Senate delegation to visit Ekweremadu, wife in London
- Ado-Ekiti Yahoo-Boy Jailed Two Years for Scam, Loses N13m Car to FG
- Money-politics affecting Nigeria’s political processes— Ex-Minister
- Kwara monarch introduces new currency for business activities in own community