One person was shot while a car and several bicycles were burnt after a peaceful protest organized by residents of Kafanchan in Kaduna State over outrageous electricity bills and epileptic power supply, turned violent on Monday, January 18.
The protesters in their numbers stormed the Kaduna Electricity Distribution Company (KEDC), Kafanchan business office carrying placards with inscriptions: ‘Stop charging us high’, ‘Stop the blackout’, ‘Give us stable power supply.
Some of the protesters lamented that power supply in the area was not commensurate with the ‘high billing’ they usually received monthly. They maintained that the power situation in Kafanchan had deteriorated in recent times and called for an end to excessive billing by KEDC.
The protest however turned violent when the security agents in their bid to contain the protesting, fired a shot that hit the back of one of the protesters. A car and several motorcycles were burnt afterwards.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- NiMet predicts cloudy, sunny weather conditions for three days
- Buhari hails Army over professionalism, bravery
- Police graduates 467 constables in Kwara
- Estate agent arraigned in court over alleged N3.4m fraud
- Photo News: Defence Minister, Salihi Magashi visits Kuje prison
- KUJE ATTACK: MINISTER OF DEFENCE INSPECTS MEDIUM SECURITY CUSTODIAL CENTRE
- 2022 Ilorin Grand Durbar: Kwara govt expresses more supports
- Bandits, vigilantes clash kill 12 persons in Plateau
- FG set to recruit 1million Nigerians for 2023 census exercise
- Police re-arrest jailbreaker in Ondo State