Operatives of the Ilorin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, have arrested 30 suspected internet fraudsters in a sting operation at Kwara State University, KWASU, Malete.
The suspects were arrested following actionable intelligence on their alleged involvement in internet-related fraud activities. Part of the intelligence indicated that suspected internet fraudsters were operating in campuses around Ilorin metropolis to swindle unsuspecting victims of their hard-earned income.
Based on the intelligence, and weeks of surveillance, operatives of the Commission on September 19, 2021 executed a search warrant in hostels within the KWASU campus, where a number of arrests were made.
In the course of interrogation, those found not culpable were released to the Students Union Government, SUG, of the School, while the targets of the sting operation were brought to the Ilorin Zonal Command for further questioning.
Some of the items recovered from them include six exotic cars, several laptops, mobile phones and other incriminating documents.
The suspects will be charged to court as soon as the investigation is concluded.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- NBC revokes licences of Ray Power FM, Silverbird TV, 50 other stations
- Nigerian Govt to block access to online loan firms
- No short shelf doses of COVID-19 vaccines in Nigeria — FG
- NiMet predicts 3-day rains, thunderstorms from Friday
- Emirates suspends flights to, from Nigeria
- Flight tickets skyrocket as aviation fuel hits N903
- PDP constitutes caretaker committee for Osun
- Osun Guber: Court strikes out suit against Ademola Adeleke
- Strike: Federal Govt’s offer miserable — ASUU
- Poultry farmers lament high cost of raw material