The management of the University of Ilorin has described the demand for the resignation of the Vice Chancellor of the University, AbdulGaniyu Ambali, by the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, as “unwarranted” and “mischievous”.
In a press statement on Thursday, the University’s spokesman, Mr. Kunle Akogun, said it was preposterous to ask Mr. Ambali, whom he described as “an excellent captain”, to quit, adding, “No excellent captain quits midstream”.
The Ibadan Zone of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), had called on Prof. Ambali to honorably resign his appointment to allow for an independent investigation of fraud allegations against him.
But Mr. Akogun, in his reaction, said the union was only bent on destroying the peace and progress of Unilorin simply because all attempts to hijack the progressive ASUU at Unilorin had been rebuffed
by the University lecturers.
“Dispassionate watchers of events at the University of Ilorin, especially since the University began to gain national prominence and acclaim as a socially responsible, generally peaceful, academically
excellent and qualitatively most sought-after citadel of learning in the country, are familiar with the antics of a few dissidents who are bent on taking us back to Egypt,” he said.
“Indeed, these enemies of progress cannot reconcile themselves with why a University would consistently receive national and international accolades!
“Within the last one year, the activities of these disgruntled elements are targeted at disrupting our well-known uninterrupted academic calendar.”
Commenting further, Mr. Akogun alleged that ASUU’s “unconscionable attempt to destroy the good image, which the University has toiled so hard to build over the years, will continue to fail and their ploy to divert management’s attention from its set goal of building a world class citadel of learning will not work!”
“The call on the Vice-Chancellor to resign based on some spurious allegations, is therefore unwarranted as it is mischievous,” he said.
- SAD….34-year-old Sodiq Adebisi dies during football training
- 150 Days in Office: CDS, Gen. CG Musa: A Pragmatic silent achiever
- Ibadan-based herbalist, Ojuwoni Atakoro, one other remanded in Ilorin prison
- Proper use of national budget, critical to economic dev —Akpabio
- EFCC, DSS, NCoS bosses To Face Reps C’ttee Over Failed Attempt To Rearrest Emefiele
- Senator Hussaini sympathises with Kaduna people over misdirected bombing
- Senator Natasha seeks NCDMB, NAFDAC partnership on alternative medicine
- Senate gives NPA 48hrs ultimatum to produce unaccounted $1.8bn
- KWASACA seeks stakeholders’ support to end HIV/AIDS by 2030
- Kwara govt collaborates with NDLEA to fight drug abuse