Disturbed by the Sunday gruesome killings of rice farmers in Borno State by the Boko Haram insurgents, the Senate minority caucus has challenged President Muhammadu Buhari-led federal government to review its security strategy “since it seems the current one has failed woefully.”
The caucus, which comprises mainly members of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP senators, in a statement by the Minority Leader, Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, expressed deep shock over the ugly incident, saying “it was saddening that the harvest season has now been turned to mourning season.”
“We are horrified that our people, particularly the farmers who are toiling tirelessly to sustain the nation’s food security has always become the target of the insurgents.
“This is so horrendous and mind wrenching and of course the unmindful slaughter of our people in such a dastardly manner is becoming way too many. It’s embarrassing to the country and calls to question the government’s strategy and capacity to tame the rising wave of insurgency and banditry ravaging a large swath of our dear nation, particularly in the Northern region”, he said.
The caucus, according to the statement signed by Senator Abaribe’s Media Adviser, Uchenna Awom urged the government to up the ante in the fight against the frightening insecurity occasioned by the resurging Boko Haram insurgents, banditry and kidnapping all over the country.
It added that it is no longer enough for the Presidency to always issue tepid statements by the condemning attacks and daily killing of our citizens, saying now is the time to take decisive action and review its strategy since it seems the current one has failed woefully.
The caucus however commiserated with the government and people of Borno State, while it prays that God will console the families of the victims.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory