Breaking….. Buhari postpones 2023 population census exercise
President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the postponement of the 2023 Census stressing that a new date will be communicated to Nigerians by the Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu-led incoming government.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the federal government had earlier scheduled to commence on May 3rd, 2023.
The Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed made this known in a statement issued on Saturday noting that the president gave his approval during a meeting with some members of the Federal Executive Council and the Chairman of the National Population Commission and his team at the Presidential Villa in Abuja on Friday.
According to him, “In arriving at the decision to postpone the Census, the meeting reiterated the critical need for the conduct of a Population and Housing Census, 17 years after the last Census, to collect up-to-date data that will drive the developmental goals of the country and improve the living standard of the Nigerian people.
“The President noted that with the completion of the Enumeration Area Demarcation of the country, the conduct of first and second pretests, the recruitment and training of ad-hoc workers, procurement of Personal Digital Assistants (PDAs) and ICT infrastructures, appreciable progress has been made in the implementation of the 2023 Population and Housing Census.”
“The President further directed the Commission to continue with preparations for the conduct of the 2023 Population and Housing Census in order to sustain the gains already recorded and provide the basis for the incoming administration to consolidate these achievements.”
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- NGF: Tinubu congratulates Gov. AbdulRazaq, Uzodinma
- Alleged N4bn: EFCC drills Ex-Gov. Kayode Fayemi in Ilorin
- I never indicated interest to be 10th Assembly’s Senate President— Lawan
- Insecurity: Tinubu gives Service Chiefs Matching Order
- Breaking…..CBN debunks rumour on alleged Naira devaluation
- Folashade Tinubu adds ‘First Daughter of FRN’ to her Twitter bio
- INEC rejects certified true copies of documents tendered by Atiku, PDP
- CBN devalues Naira to 630 per dollar
- Hajj 2023: Again, MAX Air makes another emergency landing in Kano
- How MDAs abused N3.8trn Service Wide Vote, by Senate