The Speaker of the Edo state House of Assembly, Francis Okiye, has been impeached.
His impeachment followed a motion by the majority leader of the house Honorable Henry Okhuarobo that Okiye is removed over allegations of highhandedness.
His impeachment letter was signed by 9 out of 10 lawmakers who were present for plenary on Monday October 12.
A new speaker, Marcus Onobun, was immediately elected by the lawmakers. Upon his election, Onobun dissolved all the house standing committees and relieved all the appointees of the house of their appointments.
Onobun also constituted a three-man committee to look into financial records of the house under the leadership of the former speaker and also placed the former speaker under three months suspension to allow for a peaceful transition.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment