Following the gruesome murder of a former Speaker of the Adamawa State House of Assembly and chieftain of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Hon. Ahmed Gulak by unknown gunmen on Sunday in Oweri, Imo State, the Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Lawan has appealed for restraint on the part of those calling for revenge.
Rather, he said such individuals and groups of people should allow the relevant authorities to serve justice on the matter, noting that the injury of the crime was inflicted on Nigeria as a whole.
Lawan, in a statement issued yesterday by his Special Adviser on Media, Ola Awoniyi, described the dastardly act as “one crime too many” and called for a swift investigation to bring all who are involved in the crime to justice.
The Senate President, while condemning the killing, maintained that there can be no justification for the brutal murder of a human being and fellow citizen.
He, however, commiserated with the family and friends of the departed as well as the government and people of Adamawa State on the incident.
It would be recalled that the late Gulak, who was also a former Political Adviser to former President Goodluck Jonathan, was murdered on Sunday morning by gunmen on his way to the Sam Mbakwe Airport to catch a flight to Abuja.
The Imo State Police Command, however, announced on Sunday night that the it has neutralised the killers of the foremost politician and lawyer as well as recovered ammunition and vehicles from them.
It listed some of the arms recovered from the attackers as three AK 47 rifles, one pistol, five AK 47 magazines with 92 rounds of live ammunition.
Our correspondent reports that the Arewa youth under the aegis of the Northern Youth Council of Nigeria had issued threat to declare Governor Hope Uzodinma of Imo State unacceptable and unwelcome in the North, if he failed to produce the killers of Gulak in his domain.
The group, however, withdrew the threat yesterday following the elimination of the suspected killers of the late politician by the state Police Command.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections