Iran has dismantled an international drug-trafficking ring and executed its leader nicknamed the “Crocodile of the Persian Gulf” along with an accomplice, semi-official news agency ISNA said Saturday.
“The ‘Crocodile’ was operating under different guises and aliases and was arrested while transferring more than 100 tonnes of drugs over international waters,” Hormozgan province chief prosecutor Ali Salehi was quoted as saying.
“Intelligence operations were ongoing for four to five years to arrest the 36-year-old… he led one of the biggest and most vicious drug-trafficking networks in Iran and the region,” he added.
Salehi only identified the ringleader by the initials “A.Z.” and his accomplice as “M.H.”.
The convicted leader had smuggled more than 400 tonnes of drugs into Iran and laundered 20 trillion rials ($147.3 million) into the country’s real estate sector, the prosecutor said.
“The other members of this trafficking ring were sentenced to a total of 420 years and fined 21 billion rials ($154,753).”
The judiciary’s Mizan Online website said there were 18 other convictions in the case.
Iran does not publish official statistics on the number of people it executes, but Amnesty International says there were at least 253 in 2018.
- Ogun govt closes land borders for 2weeks
- BREAKING…. Coronavirus cases jump to 97 in Nigeria
- Coronavirus: El-Rufai’s wife sends message to Nigerians as husband tests positive
- BREAKING…. Gov. El-Rufai tests positive for coronavirus
- Coronavirus: Tinubu urges Buhari govt to print more Naira notes
- Covid-19: Gombe reverse to N18,000 minimum wage for workers
- BREAKING….. Coronavirus pandemic hits 89 in Nigeria
- Covid-19: Kwara police releases reports on restriction order
- Lawan greets Asiwaju Tinubu @68
- Coronavirus: Two cases confirmed, Enugu ordered lockdown of land borders, others
News2 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
Education4 months ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
News10 months ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
Politics4 months ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)
Politics5 months ago
EXPOSED…. Why Kwara Governor wants more women in his cabinet— Ajadi
Politics3 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
Politics9 months ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen