Aminat Isah, Abuja
The Minister of Aviation, Senator Hadi Sirika, has reiterated that the Akanu Ibiam International airport Enugu which was closed down in August 2019 for rehabilitation work will be reopened for use before Easter 2020.
The Minister gave the assurance after an inspection visit to the airport on Thursday, saying that the federal government recognises the importance of the airport to the whole of the South East region, and the hardship occasioned by the closure, but insisted that it was done in the interest of safety and comfort of air travellers from the region.
On the reported shortage of some materials needed by the contractor, the Minister assured that the problem is being addressed, and would therefore not be an impediment to the completion of the project.
He commended the handlers of the project on the quality of the job being done, and expressed his confidence that the airport, when delivered, would be one of the best in the country.
Sirika further promised that work on the new terminal building at the airport would soon resume in earnest, given the budgetary provision for it in the 2020 budget while disclosing that the present administration met the terminal project at about 20% but had taken it to about 60% completion stage.
The Minister was joined on the inspection visit by representatives of the Enugu state government and the South East governors forum who expressed their appreciation to the federal government for ‘taking the bull by the horns’ in shutting down the airport for rehabilitation.
Others on the visit with the Minister were officials of the Ministry of Aviation, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) and consultants to the project.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)