The traditional ruler of Omu-Aran in Irepodun Local Government Area of Kwara State, Oba Charles Oladele Ibitoye, is dead.
The monarch death was confirmed to journalists by the Chief Festus Awoniyi, the Petu of Omu-Aran shortly after the meeting of the Olomu-in-council on Saturday in Omu-Aran.
Ibitoye who was also the Olomu of Omu-Aran was said to have died in the early hours of yesterday after a brief illness.
He was 65 years old.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the rummour of his death which became viral on social media early yesterday had earlier thrown the community into atmosphere of tension and anxiety.
Awoniyi disclosed that there were traditional rites to be followed before his demise could be made public.
“That is what has been accomplished by the Olomu-in-council which warranted the announcement” he said.
He disclosed that the Elemosho of Omu-Aran, Chef Jimoh Olaiya and his team had been instructed to announce and move round to clear the markets as a mark of tradition.
Awoniyi said a curfew has also been imposed between 9pm and 5am from today.
“We have just finished out meeting at the palace where the news of Olomu’s demise was officially broken.
“There should not be buying and selling for three consecutive market days and a curfew imposed as a mark honour for the late Olomu,” he said.
Oba Ibitoye who hailed from Ikoja compound in the town and from Ijawusi ruling house ascended the throne in January, 1993 after demise of Oba Suleiman Durotoye Abegunde.
A retired civil servant with the State Ministry of Finance the monarch is survived by his wife, Olori Omowumi Ibitoye and four children.
Chief Bisi Adeyemi, President Omu-Aran Development Association (ODA) said the association was in the process of notifying the council Chairman and the State Governor for official announcement.
Meanwhile, Chief Jide Adebayo, a former NAN Executive Director and a community leader, in his condolence, said Ibitoye would be missed for his exemplary leadership style.
“He is kind hearted, industrious, a leader per excellence.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Dancing Senator, Ademola Adeleke declared as authentic Osun PDP candidate
- Hajj: NAHCON inaugurates, screens medical team
- PHOTO NEWS: Faces at NDC security seminar held in Abuja
- EFCC traces N130m illegal trasnfer into ex-Speaker Patricia Etteh’s account
- FCTA laments influx of beggars from states
- NERC releases update on alleged Tariff increment
- Saraki woos Osun PDP delegates, canvasses support for Adeleke
- PHOTO NEWS: Tinubu visits Kwara, salutes Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Tinubu assures of victory against any PDP candidate
- KWACCIMA pleads with FG to reopen Kwara, Niger borders