William Hurt, the Oscar-winning star of “Kiss of the Spider Woman,” “The Big Chill,” and “Broadcast News,” has died. He was 71.
Gerry Byrne, Hurt’s friend, confirmed the news of the actor’s death to CNN.
“It is with great sadness that the Hurt family mourns the passing of William Hurt, beloved father, and Oscar-winning actor, on March 13, 2022, one week before his 72nd birthday,” the family said in a statement obtained by Variety. “He died peacefully, among family, of natural causes. The family requests privacy at this time.”
No cause of death was shared by the family. Hurt was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2018.
His debut film role was in 1980, playing a scientist in the science fiction thriller Altered States, for which he received a Golden Globe nomination for New Star of the Year. From there, he played a memorable role as the lawyer seduced by Kathleen Turner in Lawrence Kasdan’s Body Heat (1981). Kasdan cast Hurt again in 1983 as part of the ensemble in The Big Chill. He then appeared in the role of Arkady Renko in Gorky Park.
His most recent roles on-screen included General Thaddeus Ross in the Marvel films “The Incredible Hulk,” “Captain America: Civil War,” “Avengers: Infinity War,” “Avengers: Endgame” and “Black Widow.”
His portrayal as a gay prisoner in South America in the 1985 movie “Kiss of the Spider Woman” earned him as Oscar as well as a BAFTA Film Award for best actor.
Along with three additional Oscar nominations, Hurt — who made his film debut in 1980 with Ken Russell’s “Altered States” — was nominated for two Emmys and six Golden Globes throughout his career, according to IMDb.
- Emir of Bauchi’s brother found dead
- PHOTO NEWS: FG empowers women in Kebbi
- Gov. Adeleke reacts to tribunal’s judgement, vows to appeal
- BREAKING….Ademola Adeleke sacked as Osun Governor
- Kebbi assembly deputy speaker, 5 other resign appointments
- Adamawa guber candidate dies
- Lawyer sues CBN, seeks extension of deadline for old naira notes
- CBN unveils domestic card to strengthen payments system
- SHOCKING… Governor loses son
- Banks in Ogun applauded over circulation of new naira notes