The Edo State Police Command has arrested three suspects in the alleged robbery attack and murder of the late Mrs. Grace Omoigui, mother of a former Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service, Ifueko Omoigui-Okauru.
It was gathered that the late Omoigui, a retired magistrate was shot in the thigh during a robbery attack on Liberty Avenue, GRA, Benin, on October 24, 2016.
It was learnt that the 82-year-old victim had been trailed from a new generation bank on Sapele road where she had gone to withdraw some money sent to her by her daughter.
The deceased was said to have driven off from the bank when robbers shot at the tyres of her vehicle.
But they were said have followed her into the premises of a hotel on Liberty Avenue where they shot her and reportedly robbed her of the sum of two million naira.
A source in the area, who did not want to be mentioned, said that the robbers had demanded a blue bag containing the money and scuffle with the victim when she reportedly gave them a wrong bag.
The source also claimed that some security men and the driver watched helplessly as the robbers later made away with the cash.
However, the Commissioner of Police, Haliru Gwandu, told our correspondent on Sunday evening that the suspects were arrested four days after the attack.
Gwandu identified the suspects as Austin Orene, Isaiah Ngbeken and Esogie Aigbede.
According to the commissioner, items recovered from them included one double barrel cut-to-size gun, two single barrel cut-to-size gun and a live cartridge.
- Why there is hunger, poverty in Bauchi State— Ex-CAS, Sadique
- 12yrs of exit: Remembering Alh. S.A. Arowona everyday with prayers
- 52 new Pharmacists emerged at UNILORIN
- Reps reject Naira swap extension, threatens Emefiele’s arrest
- UNILORIN: Female varsity don performs first cancer-of-the-eye treatment
- Fuel scarcity bites harder in Dutse as litre hits N340
- New Notes: We will monitor banks’ vaults– CBN
- Rail transport system coming to Ebonyi soon– Umahi
- Art Legendary, Oladejo Akinlonu dies at 60
- Dogara takes over today as new NYSC DG