Three suspected armed vandals have been arrested by the police after vandalizing Ameka/Mbom rail track in Umuahia, Abia State.
The suspects arrested by Police operatives attached to the Railway Command have been identified as Kelechi Ononiwu, 36, Kalu Egbe, 30, Stanley, 27.
They were nabbed while removing rail sleepers and loading them into a black Toyota Hiace bus.
Upon sighting the police officers, they opened fire but were overpowered. Three of them were arrested. One of them was said to have sustained gunshot injury and is being treated at Federal Medical Center Umuahia.
Confirming the incident, Commissioner of Police, Railway, Mrs. Yetunde Longe said the command has launched a search for the fleeing suspects.
Longe also dismissed claim of a train getting halted by unknown persons around Abeokuta on Lagos-Ibadan corridor on February 12, causing panic among passengers. She described the news as fake, insisting that the railways were safe for travellers.
The Commissioner for Police said;
“In order to avoid possible derailment or accident that could lead to casualties, he had to stop and reposition the track before proceeding on the said trip.”
- Respect culture of your host communities– Traditional ruler to corps members
- Court orders INEC to accept Labour Party’s candidates in 24 states
- Kwara Govt engages additional 200 sweepers to improve public hygiene
- El-Rufai insists Aso Rock cabal working against Tinubu, vows to unmask them
- Court dissolves Ganduje’s daughter 16-year-old marriage, orders return of dowry
- 522,000 PVCs uncollected in Edo – INEC
- INEC to conduct mock voter accreditation in Delta
- NSCDC warn officers against careless handling of firearms during elections
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants