Seun Kuti handcuffed, detained in police custody
The embattled Afrobeat musician, Seun Kuti, was on Monday handcuffed and taken into the police custody.
This followed his personal apperance at the Lagos State Police Command Headquarters, Ikeja, in the morning to answer questions in connection with his slapping and assaulting a police office.
ROYAL NEWS reports that Kuti reported to the police in the company of his lawyer and a family member, according to spokesman for the police command, Benjamin Hundeyin.
Hundeyin said Seun is now at the State Criminal Investigation Department in the Panti area of the state.
He also said upon completion of investigation, the police would go ahead with prosecution of the singer if there is any reasonable ground.
Seun Kuti was recently captured on video assaulting a police officer.
Force spokesman Muyiwa Adejobi subsequently said the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, has ordered the Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command to arrest the Afrobeat singer.
“The IGP has equally ordered a speedy and full investigation into the remote and immediate cause(s) of the assault and prosecution of the suspect accordingly,” he added.
“IGP Usman Alkali Baba assures Nigerians that acts of contempt/disdain for symbols of authority will not be tolerated while offenders of such hideous crimes will be surely brought to book,” the statement added. (Partly based on a Channels TV report)
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Senate amends ICPC Act, slams 2yr imprisonment on false petitioners
- FG roads: NASS approves Buhari’s request of N16.7bn refund to Borno
- Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyer To Tinubu: Don’t inherit Buhari’s hostility
- Adegoke’s Murder: Court sentences Adedoyin to death
- Gov Otti reveals plan to recruit 5,000 teachers in Abia
- 10th NASS: Igbo Senate Presidency still alive, says Kalu
- Court sentences Rahmon Adedoyin, 3 others to death
- DSS’ Siege on Our Lagos Office Shocking – EFCC
- Fuel scarcity: KWSG to revoke CoO of erring filling stations
- Gov Abba Yusuf issues executive order to probe Ganduje