A law to criminalise “virginity repair” surgery, known as hymenoplasty, has been introduced by the British government.
Under an amendment to the health care bill added on Monday, Jan. 24, any procedure that attempts to reconstruct the hymen will be illegal no matter if the individual undergoing the surgery consents or not.
A growing number of clinics, private hospitals, and pharmacies offer the controversial surgery promising the restoration of virginity – with a large number of girls and young women coerced into the procedure, according to WION News.
The purpose of this procedure is to make a girl or woman bleed when she next has sexual contact by creating a fake hymen using scar tissue.
Since the government committed to criminalising virginity testing last July, campaigners, including doctors and midwives, had called for the surgery to be outlawed.
It is considered a form of violence against women and girls to engage in either of these practices.
The ban will provide vital protection to girls under family pressure, according to one British survivor of “honour” based abuse who was harassed by her parents for months into having the surgery.
Hymenoplasty can never be justified on medical grounds, says Dr Edward Morris, president of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists.
He said that they have been campaigning for the introduction of a ban on both virginity testing and hymenoplasty alongside women’s health and rights organisations, as both are inextricably linked with violence against women and girls.
Neither of these practices have a place in the medical world and should never be performed, he said adding that any time they learn that someone is performing these procedures, they will inform the General Medical Council so that appropriate action can be taken.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- FAAN inaugurates App for airport taxi
- LASU aims to become best varsity in W’Africa — VC
- Poverty not for any true child of God— RCCG Pastor
- Tinubu was never a minister, Osinbajo was commissioner when I was Speaker— Amaechi
- With your support, I will win – Tinubu tells Bauchi delegates
- Why Kano APC Delegates Should Vote Me — Amaechi
- APC Governorship aspirant resigns from party
- Court sentences 27yr-old student for illicit drug trafficking
- Breaking….. Buhari orders embattled Accountant-General’s suspension
- Deborah: Stop escalation of jungle justice across Nigeria, govt urged