The Senate of the University of Ibadan has elected Prof. Adebola Babatunde Ekanola the new Acting Vice-Chancellor of the university.
Ekanola, who is the current Deputy Vice-Chancellor, Academics was elected on Monday – the same day the tenure of Prof Idowu Olayinka expired as the VC of the 72-year-old university.
Sources at the meeting, where the election took place, said Ekanola scored 275 votes to beat four other professors nominated for the position.
Prof A. Oluleye was said to have scored 80 votes to come second while Prof Adigun Agbaje polled 15 votes to place third; Prof Gbemisola Oke polled 14 votes and Prof Olanike Adeyemi got 13 votes.
After the selection of a new VC for the university was embroiled in crisis, the process was cancelled and a fresh one was ordered by the NUC.
The fresh process, which is ongoing, is already embroiled in a fresh crisis.
With this, the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, asked the Senate of the university to appoint an acting VC.
The Director, Public Communication, University of Ibadan, Olatunji Oladejo, confirmed the election of Ekanola to The PUNCH.
He said, “It is confirmed that Prof Ekanola, current Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academics has been elected the new acting vice-chancellor.”
- Abducted Ondo monarch regains freedom
- Petrol price disparity: Marketers issue seven-day ultimatum
- KWASSIP starts public workfare programme to alleviate poverty
- Again, naira loses to dollar, exchanges at 445.83
- Sanwo-Olu impregnated my mother in 1994 — Delta man claims he’s gov’s son
- Gov Ortom invites Buhari to commission Benue project
- 2023: Why Nigerians should elect Tinubu — Lagos BRT boss
- ICPC arrest: D’banj reacts to alleged Npower fraud
- UK govt finally declared candidate to support in 2023 polls
- Vote en masse for me in 2023, Atiku begs Osun people