The Minister of Defence Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) has reiterated support for the forthcoming first edition of the 8th Sahel Countries Military games.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the games is scheduled to hold in October 2021, according to a statment issued by the Minister’s spokesperson, Mohammad Abdulkadri on Thursday.
Magashi who captained NDA Football team as a Cadet declared his support for the sports fiesta when 11- man delegation of the Organisation of Military Sports in Africa paid a courtesy call on him at the Headquarters Ministry of Defence Abuja.
He said promotion of sports in the Military is sacrosanct as a catalyst to building the resilence, endurance, stamina and total body fitness of the officers and personel in the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
This according to the Defence Minister is aimed at preparing them for their gallantry role in national defence especially now that the nation is fighting the menace of insecurity.
Leader of delegation who is also the President of the Organisation of Military Sports in Africa, OSMA, Bigadier General Maikano Abdullahi, appreciated the audience by the Minister under whom he served as Sports Officer when he was Commander Guards Brigade.
General Abdullahi who is the first Nigerian and by extension the first Anglophone Military officer to be so elected to occupy the office of the OSMA, said the courtesy call on the defence Minister is aimed at forging strategic partnership with the Ministry to ensure successful hosting of the Military games in Nigeria, tagged ; “First CDS Eight Sahel Countries Military Games”.
While justifying the essence of the forthcoming Military games, the president who is also the Vice President International Military Sports Council said it will douse tension of insecurity in the participating countries.
He said the sports fiesta will not only serve as an instruments for promotion of multi-lateral friendship and unity, it will also send signals to the outside world that the Sahel nations are united despite the differences in Culture and Colonial experiences even as they contend with common security challenges.
The Organisation of Military Sports in Africa which has one hundred and thirty- four member countries came into being through the initiative of the Council Internationale Sports Militarea , CISM after the second World War in 1945.
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92