The Minister of Defence Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) has reiterated support for the forthcoming first edition of the 8th Sahel Countries Military games.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the games is scheduled to hold in October 2021, according to a statment issued by the Minister’s spokesperson, Mohammad Abdulkadri on Thursday.
Magashi who captained NDA Football team as a Cadet declared his support for the sports fiesta when 11- man delegation of the Organisation of Military Sports in Africa paid a courtesy call on him at the Headquarters Ministry of Defence Abuja.
He said promotion of sports in the Military is sacrosanct as a catalyst to building the resilence, endurance, stamina and total body fitness of the officers and personel in the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
This according to the Defence Minister is aimed at preparing them for their gallantry role in national defence especially now that the nation is fighting the menace of insecurity.
Leader of delegation who is also the President of the Organisation of Military Sports in Africa, OSMA, Bigadier General Maikano Abdullahi, appreciated the audience by the Minister under whom he served as Sports Officer when he was Commander Guards Brigade.
General Abdullahi who is the first Nigerian and by extension the first Anglophone Military officer to be so elected to occupy the office of the OSMA, said the courtesy call on the defence Minister is aimed at forging strategic partnership with the Ministry to ensure successful hosting of the Military games in Nigeria, tagged ; “First CDS Eight Sahel Countries Military Games”.
While justifying the essence of the forthcoming Military games, the president who is also the Vice President International Military Sports Council said it will douse tension of insecurity in the participating countries.
He said the sports fiesta will not only serve as an instruments for promotion of multi-lateral friendship and unity, it will also send signals to the outside world that the Sahel nations are united despite the differences in Culture and Colonial experiences even as they contend with common security challenges.
The Organisation of Military Sports in Africa which has one hundred and thirty- four member countries came into being through the initiative of the Council Internationale Sports Militarea , CISM after the second World War in 1945.
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List
- TESCOM: 7, 241 Oyo Teachers, Non-Teaching Staff Write 2022 Promotion Exams
- FG promotes 30 directorate cadre, others in Police Affairs Ministry
- 2024 budget: Army mulls unmanned aerial vehicle command
- Alleged Abduction: EFCC, DSS Risk Contempt Proceedings In Court Over Emefiele
- Senate frowns as NCoS feeds dogs better than inmates
- NAPTIP laments tracking machine as woman sells 120 children