The Minister of Defence Maj Gen Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) has reiterated support for the forthcoming first edition of the 8th Sahel Countries Military games.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the games is scheduled to hold in October 2021, according to a statment issued by the Minister’s spokesperson, Mohammad Abdulkadri on Thursday.
Magashi who captained NDA Football team as a Cadet declared his support for the sports fiesta when 11- man delegation of the Organisation of Military Sports in Africa paid a courtesy call on him at the Headquarters Ministry of Defence Abuja.
He said promotion of sports in the Military is sacrosanct as a catalyst to building the resilence, endurance, stamina and total body fitness of the officers and personel in the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
This according to the Defence Minister is aimed at preparing them for their gallantry role in national defence especially now that the nation is fighting the menace of insecurity.
Leader of delegation who is also the President of the Organisation of Military Sports in Africa, OSMA, Bigadier General Maikano Abdullahi, appreciated the audience by the Minister under whom he served as Sports Officer when he was Commander Guards Brigade.
General Abdullahi who is the first Nigerian and by extension the first Anglophone Military officer to be so elected to occupy the office of the OSMA, said the courtesy call on the defence Minister is aimed at forging strategic partnership with the Ministry to ensure successful hosting of the Military games in Nigeria, tagged ; “First CDS Eight Sahel Countries Military Games”.
While justifying the essence of the forthcoming Military games, the president who is also the Vice President International Military Sports Council said it will douse tension of insecurity in the participating countries.
He said the sports fiesta will not only serve as an instruments for promotion of multi-lateral friendship and unity, it will also send signals to the outside world that the Sahel nations are united despite the differences in Culture and Colonial experiences even as they contend with common security challenges.
The Organisation of Military Sports in Africa which has one hundred and thirty- four member countries came into being through the initiative of the Council Internationale Sports Militarea , CISM after the second World War in 1945.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Kwara: EFCC Arrests Two Clerics, Five Suspected Fraudsters In Hotel
- Customs generates N1.293trn revenue in six months –Official
- Police arrest father over daughter’s death in Kogi
- Aisha Wakil a.ka. ‘Mama Boko Haram, 2 others sentenced to 7yrs jailterm
- Cameroon seeks AIB-N support on aircraft accident investigation
- Professionalism, training motivation, support are catalyst for transformed education system– Stakeholders
- Emir Sulu-Gambari prays for Doyen of Geology, Prof. Oyawoye at 95
- Again, Buhari urges ASUU to call off strike
- Kwara Govt secondary school without classrooms
- NBA lauds Bala Mohammed for signing judiciary autonomy bill into law