Connect with us

Uncategorized

100 countries send condolences over Osotimehin

Published

on

100 countries send condolences over Osotimehin
Prof. Tijjani Muhammad-Bande: signs condolence register in Osotimehin;s house in New York.

By Prudence Arobani

No fewer than 100 countries have condoled Nigeria over the passing away of the late Executive Director of the UN Population Fund (UNFPA), Prof. Babatunde Osotimehin.

Osotimehin died on Sunday night in New York at the age of 68.

Nigeria’s Ambassador/Permanent Representative to the UN, Prof. Tijjani Muhammad-Bande, told News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that the condolences had come in from the majority of the 193 UN Member States.

According to him, he has been receiving condolences from Ambassadors and Permanent Representatives of Missions since the sad demise of Osotimehin.

The Nigerian envoy commended the outpouring of the messages, saying it was a supportive gesture to Nigeria as the country mourned the outstanding legacy of the late UNFPA chief.

Muhammad-Bande also said that the gesture by was a testimony to the distinguished service of the late UN Under-Secretary-General to humanity.

100 countries send condolences over Osotimehin

Osotimehin was appointed on Nov. 19, 2010, as the Executive Director of UNFPA for a four-year term and assumed the position on Jan. 1, 2011.

He was reappointed to the position on Aug. 21, 2014, to become the organisation’s fourth executive director.

The deceased, until his death, held the rank of Under-Secretary-General of the United Nations.

Osotimehin served previously as Nigeria’s minister of health between Dec. 17, 2008, and March 10, 2010.

Muhammad-Bande expressed the condolences of the Permanent Mission of Nigeria to the UN, to the family.

He described the late Osotimehin as an accomplished and distinguished professional who made Nigeria proud during the period he served at the UN.

According to him, Osotimehin’s death is an irreparable loss not only to Nigeria but to the UN and the entire global community.

The Nigerian ambassador later signed the Condolence Register opened at the residence of the late UNFPA chief.

Muhammad-Bande was accompanied on the condolence visit by the Head of Chancery of the Permanent Mission, Dr Cyprian Heen.

Facebook Comments
100 countries send condolences over Osotimehin 100 countries send condolences over Osotimehin Copyright 2020 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.

Contact: [email protected]

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest news

Trending

Advertisement

Trending