The vehicle travelling towards Lagos was loaded with bags of onions and passengers when the incident occurred.
The accident which occurred around 6.30 a.m. led to gridlock as the truck emptied the onions and passengers on the road.
Public Relations Officer, Ogun State Traffic Compliance and Enforcement Corps, Mr Babatunde Akinbiyi, who confirmed the incident, gave the number plate of the truck as RBH 214 XA.
“According to an eyewitness account, the vehicle was approaching the diversion when the driver lost control, probably as a result of over speeding.
“It overturned in the process, spilling the onions it was carrying on the road, together with the 17 passengers atop the truck.
“Two of the passengers died on the spot while 15 others were injured,” he said.
Akinbiyi commiserated with the families of the deceased and warned drivers to reduce their speed while approaching diversions and construction zones in view of attendant consequences of overspeeding.
- If you think migrating legally is good for you, go– Femi Adesina
- Lagos 2023: Two guber candidates step down for Jandor
- Housewife, 20, arrested for allegedly killing her co-wife with pestle in Bauchi
- Buhari’s in-law, Sha’aban resigns from APC
- Unilorin ASUU protest alleged casualisation of intellectual workers
- Tinubu will run an all-inclusive government, says PCC
- London museum returns looted Benin bronzes to Nigeria
- Fire guts 150 shops in Kachako Market in Kano State
- 2023 Election: INEC won’t allow PVC collection by proxy
- Gov. Zulum appoints 7 Permanent Secretaries