The unions are NASU-Non Academic Staff Union of Universities Associated Institutions,MHWUN-Medical Health Workers Union of Nigeria,SSA-Senior Staff Association of Research Institutes of Associated Institution,NUAHP-Nigeria Union of Allied Health Professionals and NANNM-National Association of Nigerian Nurses and Midwives.
The national chairman of Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU) the umbrella body of the unions Comrade Biobelemoye Joy Josiah gave the directive on Wednesday at a press conference in Ilorin, ROYAL NEWS has gathered.
Josiah said the commencement of the strike became necessary in view of the non implementation of CONHESS salaries to the members since 2009 and 2012 when agreement were reached with federal government which other members of the health sector had since been enjoying .
He also alluded the strike to the paucity of staff in the affected unions which had largely caused their inability to cater for the patients.
Josiah explained that members of the unions who had retired or died over the years were not replaced by various government hence the large vacancies that existed in the unions.
He said”The lackadaisical attitude of government has necessited the resolve of JOHESU to call out our members nationwide to withdraw their services and stay home with effect from midnight of today,Wednesday 20th September 2017″
“However,rallies and meetings should be held at all hospital premises every other day”he added.
While noting that the strike will not be called off until all their demands are met,he appealed to the federal government to,”tow the path of honour and implement all agreements,MOUs and court judgements”
- Breaking …New Emir emerged in Dutse, Muhammadu Hameem
- Lawan, Gbajabiamila sued over failure to cut N228.1bn NASS budget
- Kaduna State Internal Revenue Service insists on e-payment in hospitals
- Buhari invested more in vulnerable women, youth– Minister
- Buhari’s appointees sabotaging his administration– APC Stakeholders
- INEC won’t disappoint Nigerians in 2023 General Election– REC
- NYSC DG warns corps members against unauthorised trips
- 2023 election: Tinubu’s presidential bid is a divine project – Kekemeke
- 2023 Election: Clergy advises Nigerians to protect their votes
- Civil Society Organisations in Borno empathise with Nigerians over cash crunch