It was gathered that some of the people arrested by the police were residents of the area who had farms close to the spot where the police officers were killed on Tuesday.
The gunmen had attacked and killed an Inspector and two Sergeants and also dispossessed them of their rifles at a checkpoint along Idu-Karmo Road.
The FCT Police Command had since commenced an investigation into the incident and also launched a manhunt for the criminals.
A huge number of operatives, including men of the State Anti-Robbery Squad, were said to have been deployed in the surrounding bush to search for the fleeing assailants.
But police sources informed our correspondent on Wednesday that many of the suspects arrested in connection with the killing were farmers and ordinary residents of Karmo who were picked up in the heat of the moment by police operatives.
A source said, “Some farmers were among those arrested by the police. They were on their way to the farms when the police saw them in the bush and arrested them. They have been asked to get sureties for their bail.”
Another source stated that some of his church members were among suspects being detained by the police, noting that they had been calling him to assist them with their bail.
Further findings by our correspondent indicated that the murdered policemen were not wearing bullet-proof vests when they were attacked.
Sources stated that they might not have died if they had been kitted in bullet-proof vests, adding that the shield would have mitigated their injuries and increased their chances of surviving the attack.
It was further gathered that the policemen were shot at close range, indicating that it was a surprise attack which they had little chances of repelling.
The FCT Police Public Relations Officer, Manzah Anjuguri, said he was not aware of the arrest, but added that the investigators would screen the innocent ones among the suspects.
“I don’t have the information that suspects have been arrested, but if it is true, they would all be screened and the innocent ones would definitely be released. But like I said, I don’t have the information (about the arrest),” he said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 62 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate