The Ilorin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, has secured the conviction of two persons charged for offence of cheating by personation and internet fraud related offences before Justice Mahmud Abdulgafar of the Kwara State High Court sitting in Ilorin.
The convicts are Idowu Aiyedogbon and Okunlola Michael Blessing. The duo, who were prosecuted on separate charges by the EFCC, pleaded guilty to the charge.
Following their pleas, counsel to the EFCC, Andrew Akoja, called witnesses who are operatives of the Commission to establish the culpability of the defendants in the crime. He tendered several evidences including the confessional statements of the defendants, fraudulent messages printed out of their phones as well as the device used in perpetrating the crime, which were admitted in evidence by the court.
Akoja, thereafter urged the court to convict and sentence the defendants based on their plea of guilt, testimonies of the prosecution witnesses and exhibits tendered.
In his judgement on the cases on Thursday, October 28, 2021, Justice Abdulgafar sentenced Aiyedogbon to six months imprisonment on count one and two, to run concurrently with option of fine of N200,000 (Two Hundred Thousand Naira) on each count.
The judge also ordered that the convict’s Iphone 11 pro max, Apple Macbook Laptop which was used as instrumentality of the crime and the sum of $1,040 (One Thousand and Forty Dollars) which he benefited from the unlawful activities be forfeited to Federal Government.
Similarly, Justice Abdulgafar sentenced Blessing to six months imprisonment, which would be suspended. The Judge ordered that the convict should forfeit his iphone 12 pro max, infinix hot 8, LG laptop to the Federal Government.
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG
- Angry youths set ablaze Iree Oba’s Palace in Osun
- Oyetola left N76bn debt, says Osun Govt
- Gov Ademola frowns at delay in Nov salary, issues ultimatum
- Buhari says Govs are stealing local govt funds
- Kanye West gives Kim Kardashian huge divorce parting gift
- 2023: INEC takes delivery of last batch of PVCs in Edo
- Ex-VC, Prof. Magaji Garba sentenced to 35 years in prison
- Mavin Records’ “Overloading (Overdose)”, most trending 2022 YouTube music video
- Four feared dead in accident involving Gov. Fintiri’s convoy