The Kwara State Techincal has apprehended about 50 people in the early hours of Saturday at a night club in Ilorin, the state capital.
The Chairman, Medical Advisory Committee on COVID-19 in the state, Dr Femi Oladiji, disclosed this on Saturday in Ilorin at the State’s quarantine centre, where the suspects were kept.
Dr Oladiji explained that the operation was led by the state Deputy Governor and Chairman of the Technical Committee on COVID-19, Mr Kayode Alabi.
“Around 1:00 a.m, we got information that some people were clubbing at Kwara Hotel. The Deputy Governor in my accompany and some security officials raided the club and we arrested so many boys and girls within the age range of 20 to 30,” Dr Oladiji said.
“Around 2:00a.m., we brought them to the Hajj camp (Quarantine Centre). We made them comfortable overnight, and early this morning, we took their samples for COVID-19. The arrest, which may lead to prosecution, is to send the signal that we cannot tolerate such conduct. Violations will henceforth attract strong response from the government.”
Insisting that the ban on night clubbing remains in force to prevent further spread of the virus, Dr Oladiji said the action of the clubbers violated the Kwara State Infectious Diseases Regulations 2020 as well as government’s subsisting ban on congregation that is beyond 20 people — except in places of worship where preventive measures have been put in place in agreement with religious leaders.
The government is considering other measures, including enforcement of the use of face mask in public, to flatten the curve of transmission of the virus.
“The government will take appropriate actions against any officials of the hotel found to have authorised the violation of the existing ban to send the signal that such behaviour will not be tolerated,” according to a statement by the committee.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory