A lawmaker representing Ipokia-Idiroko constituency in the Ogun House of Assembly, Mrs Sikiratu Ajibola, has prescribed life imprisonment for rapists in the country.
Ajibola made the suggestion in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria in Abeokuta on Sunday.
Ajibola, who is also the House committee chairman on Women Affairs and Social Development, expressed sadness over the recent development, especially as it concerned minors in the society.
She said that time was ripe to enact a law to punish anyone caught in the unlawful act, to life imprisonment.
Also, Saraki, Ahmed, Ajuloopin condole with AbdulRazaq over father’s death.
Life jail, she said, will serve as deterrence to others who had the intention of perpetrating the same evil act.
“Enough is enough, we can no longer fold our arms as women; rapists must be taught lessons in a very hard way.
“This devilish acts, most times, resulting into psychological trauma to the victims. Some of them even attempt suicide.
“We must put a stop to this by giving immediate punishment to offenders,’’ she said.
The legislator also called on parents to always teach their children, especially girls, on why they should always dress decently without exposing sensitive parts of their body.
She said that parents have a major role to play by giving their children, appropriate sex education at the early stage of their lives, especially the girl-child.
Ajibola said that exposure to sex education would assist youths in developing life skills such as decision-making, confidence, assertiveness and responsibility.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide