Senate has urged the federal government to immortalise the former Military Governor of North Central State, late Brigadier General Abba Kyari by renaming the Kaduna International Airport after him for his immense contributions to national unity.
The resolution followed a motion, “Demise of Brigadier General Abba Kyari, rtd (17th November, 1938-25th November, 2018), by Senator Baba Bashir Garbai, APC-Borno Central and co-sponsored by all senators at the plenary.
Senator Garbai, while presenting the motion, said the deceased passed away on Sunday, November 25 after a brief illness at the age of 80 years.
The lawmaker noted that the late Kyari, achieved heroic status during the military coup in 1966 by assisting many of his military colleagues, including Major Samuel Ogbemudia, who later became Mid-West State as well as civilians to escape back to the South East.
Senator Garbai further described the deceased as “a patriot and man of peace who rose above the passions of the moment in that troubled period”.
He informed that as the governor of North Central State, comprising the present day Kaduna and Katsina States, Kyari, then a Major, commissioned a master plan for Kaduna metropolis, which he alleged subsequent administrations failed to implement.
The lawmaker added that the deceased was instrumental to the establishment of the Rural Development Board, the Staff Training Centre, Kaduna Capital Development Board, now KASUPDA, and the Water Board, informing that “his government was noted for the vast improvement in the quality of life of the citizens”.
Senator Garbai said that the late military officer is survived by a wife, nine children, including Senator Abubakar Kyari, representing Borno North and chairman, Senate Committee on Defence, as well many grandchildren.
Many senators in their contributions, eulogised the exemplary qualities of the deceased as a Nigerian who lived for the unity of the country.
In his remarks, the deputy senate president, Senator Ike Ekweremadu, who presided over the plenary, described late General Kyari as “a man who lived a life of patriotism”, adding that his contributions to unity, peace and progress of this country is legendary”.
- Tinubu in Abuja not in the United States says APC PCC
- Aishatu Gobir delivers UNILORIN 219th Inaugural Lecture Dec. 1
- Late KWASU VC: University Releases Appreciation Notification
- BREAKING… IGP, Usman Baba sentenced to prison
- Arsonists cannot deter us from holding 2023 elections, INEC Chairman
- Bank failure: Depositors’ monies safe– NDIC assures
- FG approves 2-week paternity leave for civil servants
- Labour Party challenges Tinubu to open debate with Peter Obi
- Society for Peace Holds 16th Annual Conference Nov. 30
- If you think migrating legally is good for you, go– Femi Adesina