Nigerian arrested for defrauding 20 in India
A 32-year-old Nigerian, David Ujma, has been arrested by Kolkata Police in India for allegedly defrauding 20 people of Rs3m (N16.55m) in kidney donation scam.
According to the police, Uba had promised to help his victims secure kidney donations, the Times of India reported on Friday.
The police said Uba had arrived in India in 2013 on a tourist visa and stayed in Kolkata, where he created a fake hospital website and issued an advertisement asking those in need of kidneys to get in touch with him. Read also: Monkeypox alert: Bayelsa residents avoid hug, handshakes
But after receiving money from his victims, Uba did not fulfil his promise of securing kidneys for them.
Realising they had been scammed, the victims registered a complaint with the Kolkata Cyber Crime Police in April.
After learning that the police were on his trail, Uba was said to have relocated, first to Tamil Nadu and then to Bengaluru, where he stayed with a friend. Read also: Nollywood actor mocks Gbemi Olateru on Twitter (see details)
However, the police traced him through his phone’s call record details and arrested him.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Ex-Nigerian Minister, Kola Jamodu installed as Asiwaju of Ere Kingdom (PHOTOS)
- IEYDA applauds Police, Army, others over peaceful conduct of polls
- How FG punished me for going to court over naira policy – Gov Matawalle
- Nigeria’s total public debt stock hits N46.25trn in Q4 2022 – NBS
- Asari Dokubo leads solidarity walk for President-Elect Tinubu in Rivers State
- MC Oluomo bans illegal Agbero taxes in part of Lagos
- Justice AbdulMuttalib Ambali’s demise, great loss to humanity Emir Sulu-Gambari
- TRIBUTE TO LATE HON. JUSTICE MUTALLIB AHMAD AMBALI OFR
- UNILORIN don, Prof. Aishatu Gobir gets new appointment, group reacts
- Ikpeazu sacks all Special Advisers, Aides