The accident occurred on Sunday evening in Morbi in the western Indian state of Gujarat, according to the report.
It said that 141 people died and 177 people were rescued when the bridge, which had recently reopened after renovation work, collapsed.
A police official said 132 people died, 100 were injured while some are still missing.
At the time of the collapse, up to 500 people were on the 232-metre-long suspension bridge, the report added.
Pictures and videos on social media showed the pedestrian bridge appearing to break apart in the middle and several people clinging on to avoid falling into the water.
An investigation into the accident had been launched, Gujarat Labor Minister Brijesh Merja said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s office said on Twitter that compensation would be paid to the victims’ families.
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules
- Osun: Adeleke’s emergence as Gov divine– Traditional worshippers
- Aisha Buhari now wears dress meant for 3 people– Solomon Dalung
- A’Ibom YPP Guber Candidate Jailed For 42Yrs
- Abuja-Kaduna train service resumes Dec. 5– FG
- Angry youths set ablaze Iree Oba’s Palace in Osun
- Oyetola left N76bn debt, says Osun Govt