The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has secured an interim forfeiture of the sum of N1,000,494,000 (one billion, four hundred and ninety four thousand Naira).
The order was granted by Justice Lewis Allagoa of the Federal High Court sitting in Kano, according to a statement issued by the EFCC on Friday.
The forfeiture was as a result of a motion ex parte filed by the Commission seeking for the interim forfeiture of the sum of N1,000,494,000 found in the bank account of Magel Resort Limited, a company linked to the former First Lady of Nigeria, Patience Jonathan.
The EFCC received an intelligence alleging that a bank account domiciled in Fidelity Bank was said to have stored huge sum of money that is not being used by anybody.
Upon receipt of the intelligence, the Commission swung into action by conducting preliminary investigations which revealed that the former First Lady and some relatives of ex-President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan are directors of the company.
Others named as directors of the company are Oba Tamunotonye, Goodluck Jonathan Aruera, Goodluck Jonathan Ariwabai and Esther Fynface.
While tracing the origin of the money, it was discovered that N500,000 (five hundred thousand naira) was deposited on the 20th May, 2015 by Esther Fynface, who is alleged to be in charge of the company; while N1,000,000,000 (one billion naira) was transferred in two tranches on the 25th May, 2015 from Pagmat Oil and Gas Nigeria Limited, a company that is not incorporated with the Corporate Affairs Commission.
The court order reads that: “An interim forfeiture order is granted to the Federal Government in the sum of N1,000,494,000 (One Billion, Four Hundred and Ninety Four Thousand Naira) only in the Bank account of the 1st respondent Magel Resort Limited 4011019546 which is maintained with 2nd respondent Fidelity Bank Plc”.
The court further ordered that the forfeited sum be deposited in the Treasury Single Account of the Federal Government.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Emir Sulu-Gambari set to install Balogun Gambari as most senior counsellor in Ilorin Emirate
- Divorce: JJC Skillz divorces Nollywood Star, Funke Akindele
- Gov Zulum directs promotion of deserving civil servants
- Kano APC Senator, Shekarau finally defects to NNPP
- Senate Confirms Buhari 7 Ministerial Norminees
- Fraud: Senate summons NIA boss over N/Delta activists’ blacklist by DSS
- Organ harvesting: Senate delegation to visit Ekweremadu, wife in London
- Ado-Ekiti Yahoo-Boy Jailed Two Years for Scam, Loses N13m Car to FG
- Money-politics affecting Nigeria’s political processes— Ex-Minister
- Kwara monarch introduces new currency for business activities in own community