Power: Kwara to deploy solar energy
By Arowona Abdulazeez
Kwara State Government is to deploy solar energy systems to villages, small scale businesses and key government establishments to boost electricity supply and enhance economy activities in the state.
The State Governor, Dr Abdulfatah Ahmed who disclosed this when he received the National President, Licensed Electrical Contractors Association of Nigeria, Otunba Dele Akintola at the Government House, Ilorin, said the move will provide alternative source of energy supply to critical sectors instead of waiting endlessly for energy supply through the current hydro-thermal energy source.
According to Gov Ahmed, “those to benefit from the proposed solar energy systems include water corporation, hospitals, villages, small businesses and isolated critical government areas.”
“Energy is the most important ingredient and determinant of economic growth and development of any country in the world”, the governor said, explained that Nigeria is lagging behind in its energy supply needed for industrialization.
Governor Ahmed noted that already the first phase of Light up Kwara is ongoing with the streets light across major roads within Ilorin metropolis and promised to extend the solar powered streets light to other towns in the second phase.
Speaking earlier, National President, Licensed Electrical Contractors Association of Nigeria, Otunba Dele Akintola said he was at the Government House to acquit the Governor about the readiness of some investors to build solar power stations in the state.
He appealed to Governor Ahmed to consider the proposal and provide two hundred and fifty hectares of land for the project, saying that the project would create employment opportunities for the teeming youths and boost the state economy.
Otunba Akintola added that the United Nations is supportive of states or countries investing in the reduction of environmental pollution and appealed to the governor to buy into the proposal.
Facebook Comments Box
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Fuel subsidy: Court stops NLC, TUC, others from embarking on strike
- Kwara Gov meets labour leaders on fuel subsidy removal
- Fuel subsidy: Kwara govt. reduces workdays for civil servants
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic announces retirement from football
- NYSC presents court with documents to prove certificate forgery by Peter Mbah
- Reactions trail ‘drop’ in cooking gas price
- Professionalism and Patriotism: Toun Okewale’s achievements speak loudly
- About 490,000 Job Opportunities Awaiting Nigerians Here—NDPB
- Subsidy: Electricity workers to embark on nationwide strike
- Return missing bullet proof jeeps within 5 days– Zamfara Gov tells Matawalle