Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has called on the leadership of the party to conduct transparent primaries to pick its presidential flag bearer for the 2019 elections.
Saraki stated this on Monday, shortly after submitting the Expression of Interest and Nomination Forms to run for the Office of the President on the party’s platform next year.
He also ruled out a consensus option, saying it was not an issue for the 12 aspirants.
Saraki said: “I don’t think the consensus thing is an issue before us because we are trying to make ensure that there is internal democracy in the system and a very credible primaries.
“What is important is that at the end of the day, we have something that is rancour free. What I can tell you is that we are working together because we are still part of one family. I believe at the end of the day, we will have a process that whoever emerges will be supported by all of us.
“For us to grow this country, to have the teeming youths who are unemployed and create opportunities for them, Nigerians have come to understand that to do this, you must know how to do it. You cannot give what you don’t have. You can only give what you have.
“And the teeming youths are saying it is time for them to put in place someone who has the energy, youthfulness, capacity, capability and the knowledge to drive them to the future. It is through this that we can secure the future. It is through this that in the continent of Africa and comity of nations, Nigeria will stand high yet again.”
- I’ll continue to prioritise education, says Gov Sule
- Police cautions governors against frustrating opposition parties’ campaign
- We’ll recover semester, session lost to strike – ASUU
- Yahoo boy arrested for beating undergraduate girlfriend to death in Ogun
- Governor Ikpeazu signs female inheritance bill into law
- Kwara Gov. reshuffles cabinet, swears-in new commissioners, others
- SON issues MANCAP certificates to 102 companies in Kano
- KAM Holding Gets SON Applause, Bags 6 MANCAP Certificates (PHOTOS)
- ASUU: Lectures receive full salaries for November, without arrears
- Osun Speaker, Owoeye meets Governor Adeleke