Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has released compensation to the Nigerian victims of 2015 crane crash that occurred in Makkah.
This was disclosed by the Nigeria’s Ambassador to Saudi Arabia, Justice Muhammad Isa Dodo (rtd) during a meeting with the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, NAHCON in Jeddah, preparatory to the meeting and signing of Memorandum of Understanding, MoU for the 2020 Hajj.
NAHCON, in a statement issued on Sunday by its Head of Public Affairs, Hajia Fatima Sanda Usara, recalled on September 11, 2015, a crawler crane collapsed during a thunderstorm at the Ka’aba Grand Mosque in Makkah claiming
many lives and injuring others.
According to the commission, Nigeria lost six pilgrims from Gombe, Kaduna and Katsina States to the crash while three others sustained injuries.
It further stated that King Salman of Saudi Arabia thereafter pledged to pay compensation to the victims of the crash.
The statement added that NAHCON and Nigerian Missions in Saudi Arabia, in line with the directives of President Muhammadu Buhari had regularly followed up on
the pledge of the King, which was eventually redeemed.
It also informed that the compensations for five among the deceased and two seriously injured pilgrims were released to the Nigerian Embassy in Riyadh which has forwarded same for handing over to the families of the victims.
The statement added that NAHCON would coordinate payment of the compensation in accordance with provisions of the law.
It stated that Nigeria’s Minister of State, Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Zubairu Dada, during a ministerial meeting with the Saudi Minister of Hajj and Umrah, Dr. Muhammad Bn Saleh Benten, thanked the Kingdom for the gesture.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal