He stated this in Ilorin, Kwara state while addressing newsmen after the National Executive Meeting (NEC) of the association, stressing that, “The Lake Chad is shrinking and this may soon be causing loss of jobs”, ROYAL NEWS has gathered.
Olumese said efforts to ameliorate such crisis may include acquisition of both hydrological and hydrogeological data and systematic study of basin aquifers.
He, however, suggested that updating and full implementation of the national water resources master plan have now become imperative.
He said this development called for a strong financial commitment and prudent management of available resources such as state ministry of Water Resources and support to River Basin Development Authority to achieve their mandate based on set targets that can be evaluated periodically.
“The ground water level is going down and we are giving water projects to quacks. Indiscriminate sinking of boreholes are not helping the matter, we must become aware of this and do something. Projects are executed without professional counselling, Hydrogeologists are not consulted.
Olumese lamented that the government was inconsistent with the River Basin and that if it shows commitment, Nigeria can feed the whole of Africa.
The NAH President disclosed that the association’s 29th annual conference, tagged Ilorin 2017 will hold in Ilorin, the Kwara capital from Nov. 5 to Nov. 10.
He said the conference has as its theme, “Strategies to Achieve Sustainable Development Goals in Water Resources”.
Olumese explained that the conference will also focus on climate change and inter-basin water transfer, surface and ground water resources management, environmental monitoring and restoration as sub-theme.
- Kashim Shettima delivers Al-Hikmah convocation lecture
- (PHOTOS) IGP Egbetokun, Amb. Sulu-Gambari, others bag Al-Hikmah Ph.D
- AMR’ll account for 10 million annual deaths by 2050- WHO
- ANHEJ advocates for increased budgetary allocation to health sector
- Emir Sulu-Gambari hosts Kauran Namoda, Imo monarchs in Ilorin (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO NEWS: EFCC Ilorin zonal organises road-walk against corruption
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List