He stated this in Ilorin, Kwara state while addressing newsmen after the National Executive Meeting (NEC) of the association, stressing that, “The Lake Chad is shrinking and this may soon be causing loss of jobs”, ROYAL NEWS has gathered.
Olumese said efforts to ameliorate such crisis may include acquisition of both hydrological and hydrogeological data and systematic study of basin aquifers.
He, however, suggested that updating and full implementation of the national water resources master plan have now become imperative.
He said this development called for a strong financial commitment and prudent management of available resources such as state ministry of Water Resources and support to River Basin Development Authority to achieve their mandate based on set targets that can be evaluated periodically.
“The ground water level is going down and we are giving water projects to quacks. Indiscriminate sinking of boreholes are not helping the matter, we must become aware of this and do something. Projects are executed without professional counselling, Hydrogeologists are not consulted.
Olumese lamented that the government was inconsistent with the River Basin and that if it shows commitment, Nigeria can feed the whole of Africa.
The NAH President disclosed that the association’s 29th annual conference, tagged Ilorin 2017 will hold in Ilorin, the Kwara capital from Nov. 5 to Nov. 10.
He said the conference has as its theme, “Strategies to Achieve Sustainable Development Goals in Water Resources”.
Olumese explained that the conference will also focus on climate change and inter-basin water transfer, surface and ground water resources management, environmental monitoring and restoration as sub-theme.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal